Staying warm? It’s getting colder out these days. So why not cook a warm, spicy Korean dish to warm up? 🙂
I love dakgalbi. It’s a delicious and comforting dish. Of course, if you have dakgalbi, you gotta go to Chuncheon. It’s their specialty! But if you’re ever up in my city of Daejeon, I say head over to Gung-dong. In Gung-dong there’s a great place called Mat-jeon (막존 – which I think is supposed to be “Taste Zone”). They serve up the best dakgalbi in town. Not just that, but I have a friend who was a part-timer there, and she said they don’t even make the sauce on-site. It’s that secret! Plus they serve up pineapple makkeolli (막걸리) which is pretty darn good.
But being so far from me second home, I can’t just pop over when I want. So I looked around for a couple recipes and found some good ones from Beyond Kimchee and Maangchi. I pretty much did a mix of the two (so all credit goes to them for this!)
– 1 lb of boneless chicken (thigh or breast), diced
– 1/2 lb of Korean rice cake sticks (떡볶이 – ddeokbokki)
– 1/2 small head of cabbed, diced
– 1/2 onion, sliced
– 1 sweet potato, chopped into bite sized pieces
– 1 carrot
– 1 tbsp of ginger, minced
– 2 tsp curry powder
– 2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce
– 2-10 gloves of peeled garlic, minced (amount is to taste)
– 2 tbsp rice wine (mirin/mirim)
– 1 tbsp sugar
– tbsp sesame oil
– 3 tbsp Korean chili paste (고추장 – gochujang)
– 2 tbsp Korean chili flakes (고추가루 – gochugaru)
– 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
– 2 tbsp canola oil
– 2-4 tbsp water
– Set your rice cakes to soak in hot water (if they’re fresh you don’t need to do this step).
– Cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces. Put in a bowl with soy sauce (1 tbsp) and black pepper, mix, and set aside.
– Prepare the sauce by mixing: garlic, ginger, hot pepper paste, hot pepper flakes, soy sauce (2 tbssp) and mirin/mirim in a bowl.
– Place cabbage in a large, shallow pan. Put in onion, carrot, sweet potato, and rice cakes. (You can also add perilla leaves – I didn’t because I couldn’t find any anywhere!)
– Add chicken on top. Pour sauce over that.
– Cover and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir.
– Lower heat a bit and cover. Let it cook for 20 minutes or until it’s done.